Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Extreme sloth woman

Picture 002

For a few years of my life, I had a lot of trouble sleeping (although my ability to fall asleep in any form of transport was not effected and remained unmatched). This is not true anymore as my napping powers grow stronger every year.

Through out my childhood and teenage years, cars, planes and trains all managed to lull me into sleep quite rapidly. In the past few years, this has extended and I can now nap just about anywhere.

This weekend I went to Kigali to see some friends. Friday night we went to bed at 3Am and were up by 7AM so by 11AM my need for a nap was beyond pressing. I tried to sleep at the coffee shop table but that was discouraged. I ended up passed out on a coffee shop couch for an hour and a half. This prompted a discussion among my friends about their first impressions of me. On the plane ride from DC to Africa, most people were too excited and scared to even nod off. Evan had stayed awake for 24 hours beforehand in the hopes he would be able to sleep on our journey across the ocean but alas he said, “There I was, jumping in my seat and buzzing from nerves and I look over and Jane is still passed out. Damn, that girl can sleep.” Needless to say, he was impressed. Joco described seeing me curled up in the tiny seat with my head on the tray table and being blown away. “I thought, it’s like a superpower, extreme sloth”

 Feb 09 002 IMG_7606

Evan-through a bus window and playing his guitar

Picture 006

Joco living it up in the supermarket’s lifeguard chair

Side note- Huge Congrats to Joco who just got a job editing the Sunday New Times (Rwanda’s newspaper) She was appalled by the grammar in the paper and wrote in offering her services. 24 hours later she had an interview and a editing offer.  Way to be the change you want to see Joco!

No comments:

Post a Comment