Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jane steals a baby

It was bound to happen…. So the other day I am walking down the path to my house when I hear a small child wailing. I looked over and this tiny girl (maybe 2 years old) was standing on the grass crying her eyes out. I had seen this girl a few times with an older brother but didn’t see him around. The gang and I were heading down to my house to listen to music, so I picked up the girl and decided I would bring her with me. As I tried to quiet her tears, I thought the brother would be attracted by the music and come look for her… We would also be in sight of the grassy patch were I found her, so I figured she would be easy to find.

As I got to my gate, I looked back and saw a well dressed gentleman standing on the grass and holding a pink hairbrush. “Oh, sorry, is this your baby?” I gasped. I scampered back to the man and handed the child over. He looked at me with disbelief in his eyes. If I was a mind reader, I am pretty sure I would have seen his thoughts saying “What the what is this crazy Muzungu doing stealing my baby? Doesn’t she have enough little ragamuffins in her weird cult?” I did the same bashful, repeated apology I do when I hit the wrong kid with chalk and rushed back to my willing gang members.  Thankfully, no charges pressed… this time.

1 comment: