Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Monday, June 21, 2010

I know why the caged bird sings

Today, as an example of figurative language/metaphors/etc I did “I know why the caged bird sings” by Maya Angelou in my classes. I promised that if everyone did a good job and listened we would “interpret” Waka Waka-This Time for Africa (The Official WorldCup song) next class.  I explained the context and a little about Maya Angelou and life in the USA for African-American’s while she was growing up so that when I asked “Who is really the caged bird” I wouldn’t get blank stares. All my classes were great and ended up asking questions about civil rights instead of about metaphors. The best singular question award goes to Charlotte in 5MCB who asked “Why do all African-American’s like hop-hop and do drugs?” This prompted a response from me on how Pop Culture does not represent the majority of Americans and devolved into a conversation about why “bitch” and “nigger” can now be used in positive* ways.

My 6PCM class ended up grilling me about a variety of topics related to civil rights.  The questioning was lead by a boy who has not looked up from his chemistry homework since the first day when he asked me what “Nigger” meant. He was on fire today, and if the whole class wasn’t already set on being doctors, I would recommend law school.  In the tradition of every good child/ young lawyer, they refused my attempts to turn the discussion back onto them. I usually tell them what I think AFTER they give their own opinions, but this time, they kept saying “We don’t know. We don’t know America…”

The following is a paraphrased discussion that ended up going 20 min past the end of class. I kept saying I would answer one more question before the next teacher came…but that teacher never came.

‘But Teacher, so now everyone in the United States has equal rights?”

“Yes, that is correct”

“So nothing bad ever happens to black people?”  (kid trapped me! total leading question)

“Well, discrimination and equal rights are different. Everyone has equal rights but people can still be racist”

“So, you can be mean to black people”

“Well….yes, you can stand up and say I hate black people, but you cannot keep anyone out of your school or be violent”

‘But, Teacher, what about the trauma of people?”

“Sorry? Trauma?”

“What if what I says makes someone else feel the trauma, is that okay?”

“Oh” {long pause} “Yes, it is possible with free speech that you could say something that might traumatize someone else. But it is only illegal if you break a law, for example hit someone”

“But your actions, can they traumatize?”

“Um….It would depend on the action, I could wear a t-shirt that says I Hate White People, and that is okay but if I hit a white person, then I go to jail. This is one of the side effects of Free Speech, people can and will say things you don’t like.”

“Teacher, teacher, teacher”

“Yes?”

“For you, you have lived in the United States and Rwanda, what advise’s would you say to us about this. Racism”

{Long pause} “In the United States, school children read Maya Angelou and learn about civil rights so they can learn not to be racist. We try to teach children to choose their friends based on being kind or honest instead of skin color”

“And what would you advice to us?”

“Hmmmm, well, in Rwanda you do not have black people and white people who are native but you do have different tribes” {meaningful eyebrow raise} “that I am not allowed to identify, but I would say the same…. you should decide who you like and don’t like based on how they act, instead of their tribe or who their father was”

“Teacher, I have a question”

“Okay, but then I have to go”

“What would you say to American’s about freedom in Rwanda” (Several people giggle and look at each other)

“Well…..As we have said before, right now Rwanda’s top priority is safety. So I would tell American’s that right now, safety is first and freedom of speech is second.” (Many nodding heads)

“And what would you advice us about this?”

“Ummm” {pause and fidget} “What do you think?”

‘We don’t know, it is your advice to us”

“Well, the USA had its civil war many years ago, so now when people speak their mind, it isn’t scary. For Rwanda,  now, the idea of people saying they don’t like other people is scary for the government. But, in 10, 20 years, it may not feel so scary anymore, and then Freedom of Speech and safety can be equal.”

“And Teacher, what about Peter Elright” [the US Lawyer arrested in Rwanda]

“Huh?”

“The man, arrested…”

“Oh, yes, right, well, what about him?”

“Who made the mistake? Did he do bad, what do you think?”

“Well, in the USA he probably would not have gone to jail but when you travel you must obey the country’s laws”

“So did he make the mistake or the government?” (Shocked glances)

{Long long pause} “Well, what do you think?”

“We don’t know, we need to read more about it. You? Who make the mistake?”

{pause} “Ummmm, well, I didn’t live in Rwanda during the Genocide so I don’t think I get to decide who made the mistake. If he broke Rwanda’s laws- even if they seem unfair to an American-then he can go to jail” (plus, I don’t actually understand if he did what he is charged with, which is denying the genocide)

“What would you advice to him?”

“I don’t know, what would you----“

“Tell us what you would advice”

“I would explain to him that you do not have the same rights as you have in your country, and you must obey the laws of Rwanda. I really HAVE to go, I will go look up the article on him now and we can discuss next time”

“Teacher, will they close the American embassy like they did with the France”

“No. Obama and America have a mostly positive view of Rwanda, even though we disagree on Free Speech. They are not going to close the embassy. The side effect of Free Speech is that you are going to hear things you don’t like. So even if Obama doesn’t like that Rwanda jailed an American, they will not close the embassy. Now, I have to go, I will get you an article on this”

“So you will bring us an American view”

“Yes, okay, BYE!”

“Teacher, Teacher, Teacher…..”

* The idea that these words can be used with positive connotations is highly controversial and debatable, but since I am the teacher… I get to shape their minds with MY view*

3 comments:

  1. How old are these kids?? This is a much more sophisticated discussion about race than I ever had in my college classes! Jane keep on changing the world, you are amazing! Love Miranda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astonishing discussion, you were magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My senior 6mcb class had similar questions but much less intense. Maybe 6th form is the year they find a politcal consciouness in Rwanda. They are quite concered with racism in America and the difference in rights. 2 kids raised their hands for free speechwhen I asked if Peace was number 1 or free speech. Whoa Rebels!

    ReplyDelete