Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

In Kigali

I am safely in Kigali! I will be here for the next 2 weeks for WorldTeach orientation. We are staying at a Catholic mission called Saint Pauls. My roomate is Jo and our roommate name is "Jokaw." After 2 weeks of orientation in Kigali we will be going as a group to Nyanza for teaching praticum. Nyanza is actually the town where I will be living after orientation is over. It is 2 hours from Kigali and apparently my house there is huge. I was (and still am) a bit nervous about being alone but I think I can handle it. We shall see. I am thinking I will get a little travel wifi modem to keep me company so be prepared to see a lot of me on the internet!

I am too tired and my brain is too fried from 24 hours of traveling and a full day of exploring to write a very eloqouent  blog but here are a few tidbits...I promise after this I will make an effort to string my thoughts together into a cohesive and readable story.

  • Our field director Kelly Jo is very nice. She is the bubbliest person ever!
  • The first sign we saw as we pulled out airport was
    RWANDA. INVESTMENT- YES
                             CORRUPTION-NO
  • I can't use my swahlii! I am dying to say Asante Sana and Shikamoo. It's is killing me, but I am using a bit of french. Bonjour, Bonsoir, Pardon, Merci.
  • Our first night, WorldTeach took us to a bar called Ivy and we saw a native dance and drum performance. It was great and very different from the native dances in Tanzania.
  • The Rwandan Ministry of Education has decided they want us at the best schools. So all our placements are the top performing schools in the country. Not sure how I feel about that but it is what it is.
  • On Jan 1 we are going as a group to an East African music concert. I will have pictures!
  • The country is beautiful. Rolling green hills and red dirt. The vegatation is quite lush.
  • We did yoga tonight! Kelly Jo lead the class and I think I might do one at some point. There was no empty room so we did outside in the mission courtyard. We had quite an audience of nuns giggling at us.

1 comment:

  1. It is so exciting to read about you - I am looking for your house on Google maps ;-D
    xoxox Brigid

    p.s. hurray for yoga!

    ReplyDelete