Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Monday, August 23, 2010

A rookie mistake

In a fit of inspiration I decided that for the third term, I would combat late-year ennui by letting each of my classes pick what we would focus on. I gave them three choices, Current Events, US History, and Grammar.  I naively thought that they would want Current Events and US History as that is what they had been the most enthusiastic about thus far.

For the previous terms, I taught roughly the same lesson to both sections of  4 & 5 and a variation on the theme to Senior 6.  It did not cross my mind that each class would choose a different focus. There is absolutely no one to blame but myself.  I simply did not anticipate that Senior 5 MCB would choose Grammar with Current Events being a close second and that Senior 5 PCM would choose “All.” Senior 4 MCB chose US History but Senior 4 PCM chose Current Events. Senior 6 PCM also chose Current Events, but they refuse to write anything down and thus the class needs to be debate and speaking focused- whereas Senior 4 needs to work on writing and is too huge to have a majority of debate/speaking. 

Today, I said there no such tense as “past progressive.” There is.

Ooops.

IMG_9246

No comments:

Post a Comment