Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Dr. Butera

Dr. Butera was totes charming and competent. He was dressed in full army fatigues with BUTERA over his right breast and RDF over the left.  He asked permission to take off my casts and then asked before he touched my legs, and said sorry every time I gasped. Before I was sent off to the POP (Plaster of Paris) room, he took down a chart, branded by Celebrex, off the wall and showed us the ligaments of each side of the ankle and what usually happened and what he thought had had happened.  He examined the x-rays (and could not understand why Nyanza had not done both feet) and decided there was no break.

After the old casts were off and he examined me, he explained each step of the way how everything was connected and why the pain was so bad one place but the bottom of the foot was fine. He said “You are a beautiful young girl and we will get you walking again” and “How many years young are you?”  It was the first time in Rwanda that a man had used the word beautiful in reference to me without it feeling creepy at all. Just very nice.

The man who put the new casts on, Fabien, was also excellent. He had to position my legs so the full casts could be properly wrapped. I tried not to cry out but I was wincing. He went on a long soliloquy about Rwanda and the problems and education. Not only was he extremely interesting, at the end, he winked at me and said “Talking helped” making it clear his talking had been one long distraction.

Despite the excellent care and bedside manner, the message was clear. When I twisted my ankles, the ligaments tore (or have little tears) and must be immobilized for three weeks. Otherwise, Dr Butera says they will heal improperly.  He also said the full plaster casts (old ones were plaster at back and gauze wrapped in front) will lessen the pain because the ankles cannot move. Dr. Butera said “Oh no, you are not a prisoner, if you have a car, your friends can drive you around town. You can go to the bathroom. But no pressure on the legs for 3 weeks.” But no teaching, no hobbling around uneven roads. I am currently figuring out my plan for the next few weeks.

Having my legs wrapped in concrete boots is a bit hot but I think it helps with the pain as my ankles are in fact quite immobile. Today was a bit rough as we ventured out to our favorite cofee shop and internet cafe. Only downside was stairs to the bathroom. So I am back in bed and after dinner my friends are going to come and amuse me. I have said it before and will say it again, I am blessed beyond belief to be grouped with this particular bunch. Rockstars each and every one.

1 comment:

  1. SOOO-OO glad you're coming home, Jane! Dr. Butera sounds like just what you needed and I love thinking about how wonderful it will be in the superb Dr. Debbi-doo's Clinic!

    ... but how will they keep you down in The City now that you've see NYANZA?!?

    ReplyDelete