Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's day


I love Valentine's Day. Sincerely, cheerily, romantically, j'adore valentines.
I know one of the major objections to Valentine's Day is that it is a manufactured hallmark holiday.

So what?

I have much less objection to the bastardization and commercialization of a day commemorating St. Valentine than, for example,  the birth of the messiah.

For me, V-Day doesn't have to be about Prince Charming bringing you roses or lavish dinners and gifts. Up until very recently, every year on the 14th I received a red envelope postmarked from Cleveland, Ohio and signed "?" in my Grandmothers handwriting.
This year, my Dad gave me the 4th book in Trollope's "Chronicles of Barsetshire", my mom indulged my knitting addiction by buying me yarn and my friend Susan made me the best card ever. Her handmade and heartfelt card brought the good kind of tears to my eyes. My beloved Zeke shared a gummy valentine heart with me and even stood still while I covered him in kisses. To top off such embarrassment of riches, my adored Jack Jack fed me grapes this morning and cried when I dropped him off at school.

 I will give into the paper hearts hung in coffee shops and cupids flying in bodegas and spend the day telling my nearest and dearest that I love them. In a world filled with news of chaos and woe, I just can't find fault with a day that encourages people to spread the love.

Besides, the  pink and red theme really breaks up the gray of February.


Much Love,
XOXO,

Jane

1 comment: