Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cent Mille Francs!

Last night we had a staff meeting (en francias) and from what I gathered, the main issue was how much teachers had to contribute every month to the end of the year picnic. Maybe my French comprehension is more limited than I thought, but I am pretty sure that and the telephone list took up the entire hour and a half. There was five minutes about the children who got the highest exam scores as well. Afterwards, there was beer and brochettes! I had Fanta because women don't really drink in Rwanda and I wanted to keep my reputation intact.

The only embarrassing part was when the headmaster (in English) asked me to stand up and talk… I assumed it was supposed to be about me so I gave a quick intro. Then other people stood up and made toasts! Ooops. They all must think I am insanely self-centered that I thought explaining my degree in Psychology was a toast!

Even though there was no music, the male teachers asked me to dance. Of course. But Janiver, the school accountant, was there. She seems quite tough and is old enough to be respected, so I went over and told her to make me them leave me alone! It worked, she yelled gently at them… they seemed embarrassed but not mad (more sheepish). Perhaps the end of the harass Jane campaign?

It was a little bit of an up and down week. My W curve moments were lasting a bit longer than usual. But, I am excited for the weekend. A few kids have approached me privately about helping them with English or speaking practice which makes up for my crazy obnoxious classes Monday and Tuesday.  Ah school children. Big Up’s to all the long term teachers out there (Mommala….)

1 comment:

  1. The headmaster should have told you in advance...since you are officially engaged, those male teachers just need to give up. How tiresome. xxxoo

    ReplyDelete