Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Profound culture shock

I could write an entire blog on the actual traveling part of my trip home, but I am trying to repress it and move on. I think that saying it took me 45 hours and then when I arrived to my house last night I had no power sums it up pretty well. I am so overwhelmed still I can’t really put together a cohesive story… but here a few notable moments from my first 24 hours back in the motherland. 

Ten Signs you are back in Africa.

1. You get home after a 45 hour journey and have no power and no water.  7:15pm  becomes bedtime.

2. You are awoken in the morning by children (who have broken through the gate for the occasion) banging on your door at 7, 7:30, 8, 9 and 10:30. You ignore.

3. Everyone stares at you when you walk down the street!

4. You find out the person who “borrowed” your internet modem has moved to Gisyeni with it.

5.  The loss of your modem is mostly upsetting because you won’t be able to post annoyances and crisis's online as they happen and eliciting sympathy from the online community no matter what time of day makes it all seem bearable.

6.  Your cold bucket shower feels amazing.

7.  The electrogaz technician who comes to fix your power is wearing a blue eletrocgraz smock with no shirt.

8. Said technician asks you your name, then if you are married. When you explain you are…he says he wants a white wife and can you give him your email and telephone number so you can hook him up with your friends (all in French).

9. You give said technician your information and agree to hook him up as he literally holds your power in his hands.

10.  Your gang is way more excited to see your iPod than you.

2 comments:

  1. And through it all, you maintain your sense of humor! We could all learn a lot from you Jane! Be strong! We miss you! We'll skype soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a brave little toaster to endure these ordeals--your traveling ordeal (the to and fro versions), your arrival ordeal-- with such a sense of pluck and moxie.

    ReplyDelete