Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Joy! happiness!

Mom Visit- Akagera Uganda 174

I just received some very excellent news. My housekeeper,  Alodie, is getting married! This is fantastic for several reasons. Firstly, old maid status here is about 24 years old and Alodie is 30 so I was told she had basically no chance of ever getting married. More importantly, Alodie is so sweet, kind and nurturing to me, I can only imagine what it would be like to be her actual family. I do not want to imply that marriage is the ultimate goal for women, clearly that is not true. But, in a small rural society the unmarried stigma is probably even worse than a bustling capital like New York. Plus, there really isn’t really anything  to do here. But really the best part is that Alodie is so loving, I really like the idea of her getting the chance to spread that love to as many people as possible. Her husband and potential children (God willing) are some of the luckiest people around. Not only will they eat well, they will live in a house filled with love and laughter.  And, I get to go to the engagement/dowry ceremony and maybe the civil service. Oh Joy!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations and many many years of love & happiness to the new bride & groom

    ReplyDelete