Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fairly useless but really not at all

I have been home since October. And it's January. No, I am not working yet. All the reasons that excused the situation in December are now starting to sound like...excuses.
Not to make excuses, but in my defense I had injured ankles, and then I was teaching Zeke's pre-school a whole 8 hours a week, and then the weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years were a wash, and then right as I settled down to get serious about jobs my cousin lured me to San Francisco and I just couldn't stay for less than 2 weeks! And so really, I am not useless, lazy, or shiftless at all.
It doesn't help my case that my friend Joco got a job 2 weeks into her search, and Katrina managed to go back to her old job (despite the rumors my Mother spread throughout my family, that was never going to happen for me).
The funny thing is that I don't mind not working. Some people claim to be bored sitting around the house all day. Not me. I do pilates and watch TV and knit. I also read, take baths and sometimes even pick up the phone. Those are all very legitimate and enjoyable activities. It's not that I miss working, just that I miss the money that comes along with spending 9 or 10 hours a day at an office.  Talking to people besides the reality stars on Bravo is also a positive aspect of leaving the house for a more traditional workplace. And it's not that my parents or family pressure me, its not really their style and so far I haven't been hitting them up for cash. It's just really that it sounds so bad. I don't want to sound shallow but "unemployed for 3 months" doesn't have the same cache as "brain surgeon"or even "human resources generalist"

Person: "So, what do you do?"

Me: "Actually, I just got back from Rwanda where I was volunteer teaching"

Person: "Wow! That's great! When did you get back?"

Me (in Nov or Dec): "Just a few weeks ago actually. Just starting getting back into the swing"

Me (now): "Just a few we..... months ago actually. Been busy with holidays and my...uh...um vacation"

Actually this whole blog post is a huge mistake, the equivalent of asking someone if you look fat. No one was thinking you looked fat until you suggested it. No one had probably realized the ridiculousness of the situation until I mentioned it.
So actually, I am doing great. I am so happy with my current situation, in this job market, I have kept so busy and productive, its quite remarkable. My motivation in writing this was to make other poor slobs feel better about no one wanting them. That has no bearing on me at all. I just don't want to commit myself to anything not worthy of my talents. Some company will be very lucky to have me, just not quite yet.

2 comments:

  1. i say bravo. real jobs are over-rated, and people who have them know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd not be lying if you said you were working with two young and dynamic leaders (Zeke and Jack). xo F

    ReplyDelete