Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A good old gentleman with lots of cows.

I missed yesterday's teaching practice becuase I was sick. But I am feeling a bit better so I made it to class today. WorldTeach advertised free English lessons in the community so that we would have a pool of people to practice our teaching on. Becuase we are in my town and the ad's were geared towards adults, we got about 40 teachers, many of whom teach at my school. We spilt the group of teachers into 2 groups. Susan and Loren took half and Kim and I took the others. (The other groups got kids who showed up and lower level speakers).
A few people walked in saying they wanted to meet Jane who was absent yesterday which was a great feeling for me right off the bat. Then when I introduced myself and I said I would be living in Nyanza and teaching at Ecole des Sciences- they clapped and said "You are very welcome" It was a great welcome and defintely made me smile. It also overshadowed the man who came up and asked me if I was single. (Mzungu wives are very sought after but more on that later). I was very impressed with people's english skills and their desire to learn more. We asked people to talk about some of their goals for the next 5 years (future tense and public speaking practice) and the answers were amazing! Almost everyone said they wanted to improve their English so they could communicate with forgeiners and travel. Getting better jobs and communicating in the global economy was also a big theme. My favorite was a name named Pascal. He is probably in his 60's or 70's and he stood up and told the class "My goals for the next 5 years is to speak more english and to be a good old gentleman who has a lot of cows and is happy"

2 comments:

  1. dada, habari za leo? shikamoo bitch! i miss swahili too...but i'm sure you'll be picking up kinyrwanda (which i know i spelled wrong) in no time. i just read up on your latest entries, and you blew my mind (in a great way). I'm so proud of you, and happy for you, and excited for you! Also, I'll be in NY later this month and I'll be sure to give it your regards. tuto enano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I think that I want to be a good old gentleman with lots of cows who is happy within the next 5 years too!

    ReplyDelete