Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Surprise!

Orientation-Eric Jan 09 047

The vast majority of the group lasted a full 36 hours in our sites before hightailing it back to Kigali. Funny and true, but it was actually for a good reason. Eric, a program manger for WorldTeach who is based in Boston but has been here for 2 months helping Kelly Jo with orientation, left Wednesday morning. The Kigali dwellers (Loren, Mitesh, Inga and Katrina) came up with the idea of a surprise goodbye dinner. So 14 of out 18 people headed back to Kigali (in all fairness, the ones who came are the closest and/or have the most desperate site situations). Our cover was blown  when Eric walked into the coffee shop where some of the early arrivees had gathered. But, we still managed a little surprise when he showed up to dinner with almost the whole group! The group mostly slept in our sleeping bags on Loren and Mitesh’s  very comfortable concrete floor.

Orientation-Eric Jan 09 056

I am back in Nyzana now but making plans to leave again for the weekend. On my return to Nyanza I had the best welcome home ever! One of the children spotted me at the top of my road, he came and grabbed my hand led me down the path. (side note- whenever the leave the house, two of them take my hands and lead me up to the road. Then, once they have reached their threshold of  how far they can travel, they shake my hands and give me hugs and wave me off) Once we turned onto my little road/path someone spotted us and yelled something akin to “Muzungu is home” and the gang assembled and started helping me carry my bags.  I got lots of hugs and what seemed like genuine enthusiasm for my (and my ipod) return. At my porch children’s request, I downloaded some Soulja Boy- so hopefully soon I will have access to fast enough internet to upload a video of them dancing.

Orientation-Eric Jan 09 026 Orientation-Eric Jan 09 027Orientation-Eric Jan 09 038Nyanza Sunset (view from my back porch)

No comments:

Post a Comment