Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The big debate: in 2 acts

ACT I: Debate Preparation: Before the big showdown
In preparing for my debate on homosexuality 100 VS 1 I went straight to my Dad and then the bible. I knew the “not everyone is Christian” argument wasn’t going to work, because their retort would be that they are going to hell anyway. So, in my research (luckily I have the holy bible on my iPod) I realized that the scriptural basis for homophobia is pretty weak.   I consider myself a Christian because I think Jesus was the bomb regardless of his divinity, his ideas hold up. That said,  I don’t take everything in the bible too literally so I wasn’t too bothered by the idea that there maybe some anti-gay sentiment in it.  The Sodom and Gomorrah issue is really about rape and the entire town couldn't have been homosexual because then it would die out on its own and wouldn’t have to be destroyed.  Leviticus really only applies to Orthodox Jews so I think I can get past that one easily. I also did some reading by pro-gay scholars who suggested that homosexuality was grouped in with promiscuity, sodomy of the losers after battle, rape of slave boys, and prostitution, not the loving union of two people.  The scholars I found also mentioned 2 passages of same-sex love  (although not same-sex sex)“David’s love for Jonathan was said to exceed his love for women” and the example of Ruth and Naomi’s loving relationship.
The “Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve” seems to be my biggest hurdle. I am planning on using infertile women and men as examples, they cannot bear children, are God’s children and yet do not fulfill the go forth and multiply command. Also, monks and priests live a life of celibacy and do not procreate so while procreation is important for  human race to survive, it does not necessary need to apply to each and every person.  I am also going to bring up some Kinsey Institute research that suggests there are genetic or prenatal factors but not sure how it will go over.
Paul is another obstacle but he also said that women shouldn’t speak in church which is now thought to be outdated. My major rebuttal to Paul is that he really was against immorality and adultery not committed loving relationships. Also, he never met Jesus and while was he important in the creation of the early church, Jesus’ words and actions  should be held as supreme. And his ultimate commandment was “Love God above all and love our neighbors as ourselves.”
ACT II: After the battle
IMG_8633
Just Kidding! Actually, my side (Marie joined me!) won 28 points to 18 points. Well, we technically won. There was moderator from another class who awarded points based on arguments and whether we addressed the other side’s points.  Also, only 6 people from the other side spoke so I didn’t have to contend with 100 voices. They talked a lot about Adam and Eve, Sodom and Paul’s letter to Corinthians. (That was a bit killer for me as he names homosexuality as being akin to adultery, immorality etc) I don’t think I changed any minds but it was interesting and lively. The boys seems preoccupied with homosexuality in prisons and had a hard time differentiating between that and a committed loving relationship.
The conclusions were extremely memorable. Laurent said “I think that there are the most homosexuals in America and that’s why God will destroy America first and soon” Franck and Emmanuel both stated that “It is the end of the world [homosexuality]” and Franck said they hang homosexuals in Uganda. I said “Is that right? To kill someone? Isn’t Jesus peaceful"?” and he said “Well, they are killing the devil”
All in all, it was pretty successful. I am not sure I overcame 15-24 (depending on their ages) of religious teaching but hopefully I brought up a few thinking points. I tried (Thanks Dad) that to show that people have interepted the bible ovetime, but they couldn't really wrap theitr heads around it. They brought up society and I tried to point out that society’s laws are different from Gods. They also said you get judged in Heaven if you stay within the societies rules, to which I gently brought up that they lived in a society where 15 years ago there were very bad things going on and sometimes Countries and societies make bad choices and do not abide by Gods laws. And, they kept asking for details on how “sex” happens between people of the same gender so, with a bright red face, I explained that.  Based on the whole debacle, the vast majority of the kids probably think I am headed straight to hell. I went to church with them after and didn't burst into flames so hopefully that helps.

IMG_8577 My Team
IMG_8578 The Other Team
IMG_8613 Me and the other team (with Bible)
IMG_8624 Franck and me (one of my AllStars)
IMG_8625 Laurent (waiting for USA’s demise)
IMG_8626 Emmanuel and me (Another AllStar)

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, Jane!

    AMAZING JANE!!!

    You are courageous to do this - you know that - and you are taking your students out onto what must be for them the bleeding edge of philosophy, morality, social thinking! You are shocking them and still being their teacher, their friend. Your kind and loving and committed ways make it possible for them to feel safe as they dare to consider thinking differently.

    If I had any right to be, I would be so proud of you!!!
    love,
    Brigid

    ReplyDelete