Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cheer up Murray

This weekend my friends Joco, Evan, and John all came to visit. We spent Friday night at my abode and then Saturday in Butare. There is nothing better for a downward W curve then a weekend with this crew. The weekend seemed action packed and yet nothing really happened.

Joco et all Visit 015 John, Evan and Joco/kaw

Friday night (After Alodie cooked for us all, bless her heart) we sat around talking until finally I had to beg off for exhaustion. My guests watched a Flight of The Concords episode before bed, and so I drifted off into a happy sleep with the sounds of “Cheer Up Murray” being sung.

Joco et all Visit 013 Jo has Jellies!

Joco et all Visit 025 A full rainbow. Amazing

Saturday was based around eating. We hit Belle Vie in Nyanza for Chapati in the morning and then Matar Supermarket in Butare  for lunch. After exploring Butare and seeing the University Campus we decided to head to a Chinese food restaurant someone had told me about. We asked maybe 10 people for direct5ions and got 10 different answers. Finally, as we were heading quite off the beaten path, these nice 2 ladies said they would show us the way. It was only a KM away. This was the first very scary warning sign. When a Rwandan says “only a kilometer” that could very well mean 3-7 kilometers. As we walked down a deserted road, the sun set and it started to rain. So now we were walking down a deserted dark road in the rain. I felt fully responsible as it was ‘my place” and starting thinking of ways I could make it up to my buds. I also said several times “You could have said no, or let’s turn around” We arrived at Chez Ginkongoro after about 30 minutes. The wait staff seemed surprised to see us and didn’t seem to understand we wanted food. We were shown to a side room full of couches with one empty low table.

Joco et all Visit 033

Dum De Dum Dum Dun

What resulted was fantastic actual American-style Chinese food! Not just good for Rwanda, actual quality food.  My friends and I were thrilled and I thanked my lucky stars they were still speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment