Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Friday, May 14, 2010

C’est la vie

I know W curve is the most over-used phrase in this blog and maybe in Rwanda. We tend to use it in a daily sense… things go down and up like a rollercoaster. But, the phrase was originally created as a metaphor for the entire living abroad experience. When you first arrive, you are jazzed, and then you miss home and only think about the things from home that are better. Then everything evens out, and once you go home the whole process starts over again.

W curve

Since the end of vacation, my entire group has been pretty low. I am trying to remind myself that this is the low in the giant W that covers our whole time here. Soon, things will even out and everything will just be c’est la vie. Because the truth is, that frustrating days and bad times happen no matter where you live-c’est la vie. I am so happy I have amazing friends here and at home. So no matter how many very expensive  iPods break or kids climb through my windows, I have the important things.  In fact, I am sitting with Joco, John, and Susan in Shokola on the internet, eating chocolate chip cookies and hysterically laughing.  “Give me your best muffin”

My friend Joco just gave me  good quote. "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”- Plato. I wish I could live that by, but I think I already broke it.  My favorite yoga teacher ever once said to me “Happiness isn’t getting what you want, it’s wanting what you already have”  and I have really been trying to remember that and get a little (very little) distance from my electronic/pop culture dependence. That said, I really hope my iPod comes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment