Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Monday, May 17, 2010

Know your audience

This morning I used homosexuality as an example in one of my classes as something that has “Stigma” in Rwanda and not in the U.S.A. (okay… not perfect in USA but in my USA). 

“WHAT” Screamed 53 voices. “But its wrong… the bible says… abomination…..” came the cries. Then from the babble of voices came one strong clear voice

“But Teacher, what do you think? I thought you said you were a Christian?”

I tried to explain that I was a Christian who believed that homosexuality is okay. I said “love is love” and “Jesus himself had never come out against it” I even tried bringing up the idea that the bible is interpreted in many different ways. The whole time with my class staring at me in shock and horror. Then, I decided to share that I had been to a gay Commitment Ceremony in a church.   And one kids head literally exploded.

After we had cleaned up the brains and general gore from the combustion, I told them we needed to move on but I would dedicate a time to debate the issue in full with them. I immediately emailed Bob Brokawand begged for some help. These kids though their bible and I am going to need more ammunition than “God is Love”

No comments:

Post a Comment