Put your email in here to get posts delivered fresh to your inbox!

right here!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Parents Day

Sunday was Parents Day at my school. This consists of some (not all…I couldn’t tell the percentage) parents coming to the school for a meeting. The meeting was supposed to start at 10:00 AM but started closer to 11:30 AM. All the teachers sat in the front of the room and introduced themselves before the official business began. I tried my best when it was my turn “Nitwa Jane Brokaw. Umawarumu English, ICT, Creative.”  (My name is Jane Brokaw I am a teacher…) Then someone took the microphone and translated my Kinderwanda into proper Kinderwanda. But the parents were very sweet and smiled and clapped for me.

When it was business time, first the school representatives spoke, the Headmaster, Dean of Discipline, Dean of Teachers, the Bursar and two men I had never seen before. All in Kinderwada, basically it was 4 hours where I understood 4 words. After the school spoke, the parents were given the chance to ask questions. And did they have a lot of questions. Apparently there is some issue with a Chemistry Teacher (he wasn’t there) not being up to par and the parents are very upset. There were also requests for more discipline which doesn’t seem possible to me (at this point, it was clear something good was going on so I asked the other English teacher to tell me what was going on). It was very interesting. In a country where authority is very respected, the mothers and fathers had no trouble demanding the school make changes (they are paying..). The best part of the meeting for me was that it was opened and closed by students dancing! I have a video but not sure the internet will ever be fast enough to upload it. I will try! In the meantime, here are some pictures.

Hooka and Parents Day 037 The parents

Hooka and Parents Day 038 School representatives

Hooka and Parents Day 039 Teachers looking so interested!

Hooka and Parents Day 040 Dancers Hooka and Parents Day 041    Hooka and Parents Day 045 Hooka and Parents Day 046 

Janivier- Bursar and my savior

No comments:

Post a Comment